Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. Financial aid budgets for the UCSD School of Medicine and Skaggs School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences can be found under the "Budgets" section of this web site. Budgets must be constructed using average costs for all students living in the same type of housing such as off-campus, on-campus or living with family. Students who find that they are paying higher than the average amount for a particular component of the budget such as rent, can still live within the "standard financial aid budget" by spending less on another part of the budget.

  2. The average indebtedness for the graduating medical school class of 2015 (including pre-matriculation debt) was $107,754. The average indebtedness for the graduating pharmacy school class of 2015 was $101,170.  All students are encouraged to budget realistically and borrow responsibly in order to minimize the amount of debt they incur. More information on medical and pharmacy school debt can be found under the Debt section of this web site.

  3. In order to access the UCSD Health Sciences Financial Aid Application through the Meded Web Portal External Site / New Window, an applicant must have accepted the school´s offer of admissions. All applicants can have their FAFSA information transmitted to the school, by listing the school´s federal code number of 001317 on the FAFSA.

  4. In order to access the UCSD Health Sciences Financial Aid Application through the Meded Web Portal, an applicant must have accepted the school´s offer of admissions. In approximately mid-March of each year, the Financial Aid Office informs all currently enrolled students, that the financial aid application is available through the Meded Web Portal External Site / New Window. Students can then download the forms and submit them to the Financial Aid Office along with the other required materials such as parent federal income tax returns.

    Entering medical and pharmacy students who have accepted the school's offer of admissions will receive instructions on how to access the financial aid application from their respective Admissions Offices.

  5. The deadline for applying for financial aid is usually in mid-April after federal income tax returns have been completed. Entering medical and pharmacy students who are accepted less than four weeks before the deadline, may submit the application four weeks after they have accepted the school´s offer of admissions.

  6. Students are eligible to receive up to the full amount of the standard budget in some form of financial aid. The type of aid that will be available, will depend on the student´s level of need (taking into consideration the parents´ and spouse´s financial information), as well as the availability of funding at the time of application. Students from the neediest financial situations will receive school-based grants, scholarships and loans, while students from less needy situations will generally be eligible for outside loan support only. All students are encouraged to apply for outside scholarship aid (scholarships they find on their own), in order to reduce the amount of debt they will incur while attending school.

  7. Students who are interested in applying for the limited school-based grants, scholarships and low-interest loans must submit their parents´ financial information in order to establish their eligibility for this type of aid. Married students must submit their spouse´s financial information as well. For Pharmacy students who are over 30 years of age, no parent information is required.

  8. The only exception would be where both parents are deceased or where the student can document a long-term situation of estrangement. Please note that many professional school financial aid offices have this same policy because funding is very limited, and must go to those students who do not have family resources to fall back on.

  9. If your parents are divorced or separated, the parent who most recently provided you with financial support should complete the parents´ sections of the UCSD Health Sciences Financial Aid Application and FAFASA.  In order to ensure that we are getting the most complete picture of your financial support, we will also ask that your other parent complete a one-page summary of their financial situation, which will be sent to you at a later point in the review process.

  10. We usually recommend that a student submit the parents´ information at least once, in order to determine if they are eligible for school-based grants, scholarships and loans.

  11. Yes, as a graduate/professional student, you are automatically considered independent for purposes of determining Title IV Federal student aid eligibility, even if your parents claim you on their Federal income tax return.

  12. The Title IV code for UCSD Health Sciences is 001317.

  13. No, but you do need to complete the student sections of the FAFSA online, as well as the Federal Direct Loan Request Form, so we will know how much you want to borrow.

  14. We will contact you for any missing information as we review your application. Otherwise, you can assume that your application is complete.

  15. You should check your SAR to make sure that all of the information is correct, and to respond to any direction from the Federal Processor such as the requirement to submit documentation of your U.S. citizenship to the Financial Aid Office. If you need to correct any of the information, you can do this by making corrections on the SAR and returning it to the Federal Processor, or making these corrections online.

  16. Financial Aid Award Letters are usually available in early August. Entering students who are trying to decide which school they will attend may call the Financial Aid Office to determine if an estimated award may be derived from the information they have submitted.

  17. No, this award is available only to undergraduate students.

  18. The difference between the total amount of scholarship, fellowship and grant awards you receive during the tax year and your required fees, books and supplies is reportable as income on your Federal tax return. Whether or not you have to pay tax, will depend on your level of income. Students should keep documentation of the cost of their fees, books and supplies in case they are later audited by the IRS.

  19. Students who have paid fees in excess of their scholarships, grants and fellowships, may be eligible to receive a tax credit for this out-of-pocket expense. In January of each year, the UC Tax Reporting Service sends a 1098-T form to all students who paid fees during the previous calendar year, listing the student´s qualified educational expenses (fees), as well as all grants, scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, stipends, outside scholarships, tuition or fee waivers, exemptions, etc. This 1098-T may be used to prepare the IRS Form 8863 which must be completed in order to claim a federal tax credit. Students with questions on their UC 1098-T Form should contact the UC Tax Reporting Service at (877) 467-3821, or visit the web site External Site / New Window. Students who need further information on preparing their income tax returns, should contact a personal tax advisor or call the IRS at 800-829-1040.

  20. In addition to school-based grant, scholarships and loans, students may be eligible for outside scholarships (applied for outside of the Financial Aid Office), as well as Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans, Grad PLUS loans, and outside Alternative Bank Loans.

  21. The FAFSA itself does not have a deadline. For purposes of applying for aid through the UCSD Health Sciences Financial Aid Office, the FAFSA should be completed at least two weeks before the financial aid deadline.

  22. The Federal Direct Loans as well as the school-based grants, scholarships and loans are disbursed in three or four installments corresponding to the beginning of the quarterly enrollment periods. The financial aid disbursements are credited to the student´s University account and offset any charges on the account such as fees, on-campus housing, parking fees, library fines, etc. If the remaining balance is positive, the student will receive either a financial aid remainder check or, if they have signed up for direct deposit with the Student Business Services (SBS) Office, a direct deposit to their own bank account. Students who have a remaining negative balance, will receive an e-bill from the SBS Office which requires them to pay the remaining balance at the Cashier´s Office. Students may also apply for e-check in order to have their bill paid by an electronic funds transfer (EFT) from their bank account to their University account.

  23. If a student needs additional funds to live on until the financial aid funds are credited to their account, they may apply to the UCSD Health Sciences Financial Aid Office for an emergency loan. If the delay in receiving the funds was unavoidable on the part of the student, there will be no charge for this loan.  Entering students may not receive any financial aid funds or emergency loan funds until the first day of classes.

  24. Yes, a student must re-establish his or her eligibility for aid on an annual basis.

  25. Yes, anytime you experience a significant change in your financial situation, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the change. The type of aid that may be available to you will depend on your level of need and the availability of funding.

  26. It is important that you become familiar with the length of the grace period on each of your loans so you will know what to expect if you have a change in your enrollment status. The Federal Direct Loan has a six month grace period during which loan payments are not due and no interest will accrue if the loan is subsidized. Note that you can no longer apply for Subsidized Direct Loans. Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans and Graduate Plus Loans taken out after 7/1/2008 will continue to accrue interest during the six month grace period, although no payments will be required. If the entire six month grace period is used up during a period of non-enrollment or leave of absence, a new grace period will not be available when the student finally graduates. However, if only part of the grace period is used up before re-enrollment, then the student will have a whole new grace period upon graduation.  The Federal Perkins Loan and the UCSD Health Sciences University Loan have a nine month grace period. Alternative Loans have varying lengths of grace period, if any, and you should review your Alternative Loan Promissory Note to determine the terms of your specific loan.

  27. Yes, it is necessary for all students receiving financial aid to report to the Health Sciences Financial Aid Office any outside agency gifts, scholarships, loans or other income received. Failure to report additional support is considered "fraud" by the Federal government and may have serious ramifications in terms of your financial aid eligibility. It is also necessary to report any change in marital status immediately.

  28. You may obtain a listing of all of your Federal student loans from the National Student Loan Data Service (NSLDS) by using your Federal pin number to access this information on the web at External Site / New Window.

  29. If you have questions about the terms of your UCSD Health Sciences financial aid awards, please see the School of Medicine or School of Pharmacy financial aid brochures which can be accessed here: Financial Aid

Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: