The Office of Educational Computing (EdCom) is a member of the School of Medicine's Division of Medical Education (MedEd) in the UCSD Health Sciences (HS) System. As part of its central administration, EdCom supports projects and provides services that sit at the intersection of teaching, learning, MedEd Administration, and technology.
We provide Educational Technology (ET) leadership, expertise, infrastructure, and services in support of the Offices of the Dean for Medical Education, Admissions & Student Affairs, Undergraduate Medical Education, Graduate Medical Education, Continuing Medical Education, and Medical Alumni.
EdCom is comprised of a number of interdisciplinary service-based teams including:
EdCom Development and Programming
Offering expertise on technology-based instructional design, programming, multimedia, and database development including:
- Instructional and Administrative Application Development - responsible for the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of all curricular and administrative systems that are designed to provide user-centered services and information to students, faculty, and MedEd staff.
- Curricular Resources - works closely with core course faculty and administrators to ensure that all ET-based resources are developed, updated, and delivered as needed for each curricular segment.
- Special Projects - handles various grant-funded endeavors in support of the Medical Education mission.
EdCom Technical Support - Associated with EdCom but part of the SOM IT Department
Managing the computing and communications infrastructure for Medical Education including:
- Computer Accounts for MedEd staff, teaching faculty and liaison between campus IT for medical students.
- Help Desk (electronic and physical) for problems with the installation and use of required software; diagnosing computer hardware problems; providing consultations; making referrals for repair services; and providing assistance with connectivity issues related to wireless access, proxy-servers, email, etc.
- Computer Desktop and Classroom Support for MedEd staff and faculty, the SOM conference rooms and auditoria, the HS Simulation Training Center, and all the teleconferencing needs for the Medical Education and Telemedicine building.
- Server and Services Support for managing storage and delivery of ET-based instructional and administrative content.
Providing technology-related support for the SOM, Medical Centers, and UCSD Campus; including:
- AudioVisual Services (part of the SOM IT Department) - responsible for the Health Sciences smart classrooms, conference rooms, and auditoria on the SOM campus and the La Jolla & Hillcrest Medical Centers.
- Room Scheduling - manages the allocation of Health Sciences teaching and conference space for more than 70 rooms on the SOM campus and the La Jolla & Hillcrest Medical Centers.
- Test Analysis - offers computerized exam/survey processing and analysis for the SOM and the UCSD Campus.
- Web Hosting - for School of Medicine student organizations.
- Simulation Training Center - manages scheduling of and equipment for HS-sponsored classes and workshops.
Telemedicine Events - manages scheduling of and equipment for HS-sponsored classes and workshops.
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: