National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Software Installation Overview
UCSD School of Medicine is pleased to be participating in the NBME customized assessment service that allows our faculty to develop examinations from the large pool of items assembled by the NBME. Examinations are then delivered using web-based test administration and proctoring software developed by the NBME. As part of this program, UCSD Medical Students are required to use their personal wireless laptops installed with software provided by NBME that locks down their browser during the assessment and adjusts some web browser functions (e.g., enabling ActiveX, Popups, Java, and cookies).
As of 2011, the NBME has approved the use of the following web browsers and platforms:
- For Windows XP/Vista/7 - Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.
- For Mac OS X 10.5 and above - Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
Mac OS X users no longer need to install and utilize Boot Camp to use the NBME secure browser software. The software is now compatible with Mac OS X.
Previous NBME secure browser users should uninstall any previous version of the NBME secure browser software before performing these installation steps.
Installation Instructions for NBME Software
- Step 1. Close all applications and be sure to save any unsaved files before beginning this procedure.
- Step 2. Launch the web browser that you will be using to take the NBME exam.
- Step 3. Click here to run a browser detection test , this test will evaluate the compatability of your web browser and operating system.
- Step 4. After the browser detection test, a page will be displayed with instructions to download the NBME Secure Browser onto your computer. Follow the on-screen instructions for downloading and installing the secure browser software. Below are screen shots of the Download Secure Browser page for various web browsers and platforms.
- Step 5. After successfully installing the NBME Secure Browser on your computer, you can run the program to verify the installation. Your web browser will launch and prompt you for a Start-Up Code, which will be provided by your proctor on the exam date. To exit the program, restart your computer.
- Firefox for Windows
- Firefox for Macs
- Chrome for Windows
- Chrome for Macs
- Internet Explorer for Windows
- Safari for Macs
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: