Student Affairs

Funds for Conference Travel

Modest funds are available to medical students for travel to domestic professional meetings.  You may only receive funding for ONE trip per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30).  The form MUST be submitted prior to travel for approval. Student must receive prior permission to miss required curricular activities.

For students who are conducting research in the field of Pathology, please click here.  International funding options can be found at this link.

Who is Eligible for Funding?

  • Currently enrolled and registered students in the School of Medicine AND in "Good" academic standing.  Students that are on a leave of absence or on academic probation are ineligible for travel funding.  
  • Attending as either:
    • the designated UCSD School of Medicine representative at a regional or national professional organization meeting related to medical education (e.g. you are a leader of a student organization attending the regional conference of the organization that your group is affiliated with). Funding is available for up to TWO non-presenters at a conference OR
    • as a poster or talk presenter.

Expenses Covered

  • Conference registration, transportation, lodging, poster printing expenses, and food.

Maximum Per-Person Allocation

  • $500.00 per person each fiscal year (July 1 - June 30)

NOTE: All expenses must be paid by the traveler. Upon returning he/she must submit all original receipts to the Office of Student Affairs. The traveler will be reimbursed after receipts have been submitted.

Travel Regulations


  • Arrangements for air travel should be made by the student who is traveling. When paying for airfare do not pay for other traveler's tickets and receipt must show the form of payment used.
  • Travelers should use the least expensive mode of transportation.
  • For rental car use, the University will not pay for the insurance portion of the bill.  The receipt must be itemized.


  • Lodgings should be shared, whenever possible.
  • Telephone calls and other charges incurred will not be reimbursed.
  • The receipt must be itemized.


  • Each traveler is responsible for his/her individual expenses and collection of receipts.
  • Only original receipts will be accepted for reimbursement.
  • The traveler should not have expenses billed together with another person (exceptions are rental car and/or lodging expense shared with another traveler, in which case, one person will assume the expense).
  • For airfare, provide original receipts for an electronic ticket.
  • For food, you must turn in an itemized receipt (listing what items were purchased). Expenses for alcohol may not be reimbursed.
  • If students neglect to submit receipts, they will not be reimbursed.

Application for Travel Funds  


[ Top ]

Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: