Licensing & Registrations
In order to prescribe in Epic, a trainee must have an NPI Number, licensed with either the Medical Board or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California and a DEA Certificate. In addition, all trainees are also required to register with PECOS and upon licensure, register with CURES. Below you will find the necessary information to help you achieve all of these requirements.
Medical Board of California Licensure
- Don’t Complete Your MD Application Until You’ve Read This!
- M.D. Licensure Instructions
- USMLE Step 3 Instructions
- EBHAR Request
- MBC Release Form: in order for the MBC to discuss the status of your application with the OGME, they must have your permission to do so in the form of this signed consent.
Osteopathic Medical Board of California Licensure
Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) - NPI Registration
There is no fee to register with National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) in order to receive an NPI Number. Instructions and registration link are as follows:
DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) Registration
UCSD offers a fee exemption for your DEA Certification. However, please note that a DEA registered with UC San Diego Health fee exemption is only valid within the scope of your training. This applies to rotations at affiliate hospitals, but will not be valid while moonlighting.
DEA Initial Registration
- Website for Initial Registration or Certificate Renewal
- Step-by-step instructions walk you through registrarion: Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Registration
Information you will need to when registering for a FEE WAIVED certificate
- Business Address
- Note: You MUST check "CERTIFICATION FOR FEE EXEMPTION" in order to receive the fee exemption.
- Certifying Official
UC San Diego Health
Director, Grad Med Ed
After you have received your DEA number:
- You MUST enroll in CURES
- Please provide a copy to training Program Coordinator.
- You may order prescription pads
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: