Licensing & Registrations
In order to prescribe in Epic, a trainee must have an NPI Number, licensed with either the Medical Board or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California and a DEA Certificate. In addition, all trainees are also required to register with PECOS and upon licensure, register with CURES. Below you will find the necessary information to help you achieve all of these requirements.
Medical Board of California Licensure
- Don't complete your MD applicaiton until you read this!
- M.D. Licensure Instructions
- USMLE Step 3 Instructions
- EBHAR Request
- MBC Release Form: The MBC will not discuss the status of an application with the OGME without a signed release from the applicant.
Osteopathic Medical Board of California Licensure
Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) - NPI Registration
There is no fee to register with National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) in order to receive an NPI Number. Instructions and registration link are as follows:
DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) Registration
UCSDH trainees, licensed in California, are eligible for fee exempt DEA Certification. Fee waived certificates are restricted to use within the coure and scope of your UCSDH training. This applies to rotations at affiliate hospitals, but will not be valid while moonlighting.
DEA Initial Registration
- Step by Step Instructions to apply for fee waived DEA Certificate
- Website for Initial Registration or Certificate Renewal
You will need the following information when registering for a FEE EXEMPT certificate
- Business Address
- Note: You MUST check "CERTIFICATION FOR FEE EXEMPTION" in order to receive the fee exemption.
- Certifying Official
UC San Diego Health
Director, Grad Med Ed
After you have received your DEA number:
- You MUST enroll in CURES
- Please provide a copy to training Program Coordinator.
- You may order prescription pads
- You may be eligible to enroll for Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: