Licensing & Registrations
In order to prescribe in Epic, a trainee must have an NPI Number, licensed with either the Medical Board or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California and a DEA Certificate. In addition, all trainees are also required to register with PECOS and upon licensure, register with CURES. Below you will find the necessary information to help you achieve all of these requirements.
Medical Board of California Licensure
- Don't complete your MD applicaiton until you read this! Common MD Application Mistakes
- M.D. Licensure Instructions
- USMLE Step 3 Instructions
- EBHAR Request
- MBC Release Form: The MBC will not discuss the status of an application with the OGME without a signed release from the applicant.
Osteopathic Medical Board of California Licensure
Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) - NPI Registration
There is no fee to register with National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) in order to receive an NPI Number. Instructions and registration link are as follows:
DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) Registration
UCSDH trainees, licensed in California, are eligible for fee exempt DEA Certification. Fee waived certificates are restricted to use within the course and scope of your UCSDH training. This applies to rotations at affiliate hospitals, but will not be valid while moonlighting.
- Initial Regisgration for Fee Waive Certificate: Step by Step Instructions
- Website for Certificate Renewal
After you have received your DEA number:
- You MUST enroll in CURES
- Please provide a copy to training Program Coordinator.
- You may order Controlled and Non-Controlled Prescription Pads
- You may be eligible to enroll for Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances (EPCS)
EPCS (Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances)
ALL physians are required to register with PECOS
- You do NOT need to be licensed to enroll
Included in the instructions is a You Tube video link. Watching the short videwo all the way through really helps in completing the online application.
- Step by Step Instructions: PECOS Registration
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: