DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
THIRD PARTY LIABILITY BRANCH
P.O. BOX 1287
SACRAMENTO, CA 95812-1287
NOTICE TO TERMINATING EMPLOYEES
The California Department of Health Services will pay health insurance premiums for certain persons who are losing employment and have a high cost medical condition. In order to qualify for the Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) Program, you must meet ALL of the following conditions:
- You must currently be on Medi-Cal.
- Your Medi-Cal Share of Cost, if any, must be $200 or less.
- You must have an expensive medical condition. The average monthly savings to Medi-Cal from your health insurance must be at least twice the monthly insurance premiums. If you have a Medi-Cal Share of Cost, that amount will be subtracted from your monthly health care costs to determine if paying the premiums is cost effective.
- You must have a current health insurance policy, COBRA continuation policy, or a COBRA conversion policy in effect or available at the time of application.
- Your health insurance policy must cover your high cost medical condition.
- Your application must be completed and returned in time for the State of California to process your application and pay your premium.
- Your health insurance policy must not be issued through the California Major Risk Medical Insurance Board.
- You must not be enrolled in a Medi-Cal related prepaid health plan, County Health initiative, Geographic Managed Care Program, or the County Medical Services Program (CMSP).
NOTE: If an absent parent has been ordered by the court to provide your health insurance, you will not be eligible for the HIPP Program.
For more information, you may call this toll free number 1-800-952-5294 and follow the recorded instructions.
FOR PERSONS DISABLED BY HIV/AIDS
Under the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act of 1990, persons unable to work because of disability due to HIV/AIDS and who are losing their private health insurance may qualify for the Health Insurance Premium Payment (CARE/HIPP) program for up to 12 months if they meet the following criteria:
- Have applied for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), State Disability Insurance (SDI), or other disability programs
- Are currently covered by a health insurance plan (COBRA, individual or group), which includes outpatient prescription drug coverage, and HIV related treatment services
- Are not currently on the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)
- Have a total monthly income of no more that 250 percent of the current federal poverty level and
- Will be eligible for the Medi-Cal HIPP Program within 12 months.
For additional information on CARE/HILL, you may call:
- Northern California AIDS Hotline or Southern California AIDS Hotline
- 1-800-367-2437 (English/Spanish)
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: