Undergraduate Medical Education

Requests for Academic Accommodations for Physical and Mental Conditions

At any time an enrolled student may request informal accommodations in his/her educational program when he/she encounters a problem of a temporary nature, such as those resulting from minor accident or illness.  Informal accommodations will be granted at the discretion of the Dean of Students.

In the event that a student believes that he/she may need an accommodation because of a physical or mental condition covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, the student will be responsible either to seek an appropriate accommodation under University procedures or to obtain medical or psychological treatment to mitigate the effects of the condition. 

  • In the case of a formal request for accommodation, the student must register with the OSD in a timely fashion (normally within two weeks of commencement of the academic quarter) and obtain its recommendations for appropriate accommodation.
  • If the student desires to obtain medical treatment, the Dean of Students may assist in identifying an appropriate referral to the UCSD Student Health Service or elsewhere.   
  • A student who elects not to register with the OSD will not be considered to be claiming or receiving accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Informal program adjustments voluntarily undertaken by the Dean of Students will not be deemed to be a request for accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

For further information, please contact Jennifer Denson at jdenson@ucsd.edu or the UCSD Office for Students with DisabilitiesExternal Site / New Window

Section 'Sub' Navigation:

Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: